Fordmods Logo

INACCURATE LPG GAUGE READINGS. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: INACCURATE LPG GAUGE READINGS.
Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU 1 Wagon

QLD, Australia

I have an AU series 1 falcon dedicated gass (factory tickford Gas System) XR6 engine.

The LPG Gauge is Never accurate(in instrument cluster as its dedicated gas), Occasionaly it will sort of work, then it will be stupid the rest of the time, My dad borrowed my car to drop some stuff to the tip, I told him to fuel up, Not long after he left I noticed he left his phone at home, Hours later,,,, he arives back home Cursing the car said it was full and it shut down and was empty.

Is there anyway to fix it, the gas indicator?? it runs thru the instrument cluster (factory setup by ford), not on a seperate led box like on aftermarket kits, is it a ford thing for the factory gass that the readings are inaccurate or is it possibly a loose wire somewhere.

the only warning I get is when I look at the trip meter or when I hear a high pitched whistle.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AU serries 1 Wagon project.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Sounds to me like if the trip meter is working and accurate then the cluster knows the tanks level, it would then be a faulty gauge in the cluster.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU 1 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Once I filled up and the meter went to full and the DTE was 450 "correct" then the neadle dropped to Empty in 5 mins then the car started beeping telling me that I was 20 K's before empty.

I think the gague is working but more a sensor fault somewhere,

If it is a faulty gague in the cluster can I just replace the cluster or do Ineed a special one that was built for the dedicated gass cars?

AU serries 1 Wagon project.

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

That is different I assumed wrongly the DTE on trip computer was working, in that case the sender in the tank sounds stuffed, easily replaced at you nearest gas installer in a few minutes for a few dollars.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

Factory LPG models had issues with the gauge sender on the tank ... I have replace a couple of in the 2 years I have had my ute.

My money is on the sender ... it loses it's connection and reads out of range in resistance ... sending the gauge to either Full or Empty.

You can try disconnecting all of the loom connections and cleaning them ... or just replace the sender ... they do fail over time.

After filling ... check the gauge on the tank and see what it reads ... although this can read correctly ... but the cluster will read different.

I just replaced one of my senders in the ute ... now I have a gauge that reads correctly.

Oh ... never trust DTE .... work on distance travelled and fill on that ... I usually don't travel more than 500km before i fill (works out to be about 75L for me) ... at least i know i have reserve left if needed.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:08 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

My car also has this annoying habit except after filling up the needle never goes past 3/4, usually sits on about half. But the weird thing is it says the same thing on the gauge on the tank????

Any ideas.......

So now i go by km's which can get a bit freaky cos the needle if often so far below empty that it looks like its gonna fall straight off

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

i thought the dedicated gas falcons came out in series 2!! this may seem like a silly question but are you sure its dedicated. some conversions use the fuel gauge in the cluster.

does it have green rocker cover?

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: AU Falcon

SA, Australia

prydey wrote:
i thought the dedicated gas falcons came out in series 2!! this may seem like a silly question but are you sure its dedicated. some conversions use the fuel gauge in the cluster.

does it have green rocker cover?

I too thought Dedicated LPG came out in Series 2??? I have a 12/99 series 1 factory LPG and its Duel Fuel....

my Guage also dont work on LPG due to the fact sender in the LPG tank is stuffed.... Its a common problem but a Certified LPG installer will be able to check it properly. Only prob is you need the tank empty to replace the arm inside the tank but its approx $100 to fix

98 AU Falcon Futura I6 ABS & Cruise stock (The Wifes car

99 AU Falcon Duel Fuel - Xcab

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i also would say is to get the sender switch checked out as if it did play up it would give you case of a faulty dash guage

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:35 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

If its the standard 90 ohm sender with two spade terminals external to the tank (should be written on it somewhere), just bridge these two wires with, say, a 45ish ohm resistor, then go for a drive. If the level stays pretty much half way (half of 90 ohms) then its likely to be the sender thats faulty. If it still fluctuates by a ful or empty tank, look for loose wiring connections.

You will need to disconnect the wires from the sender before bridging.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]