Fordmods Logo

EF horn not working? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: EF horn not working?
Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hello everyone , long time lurker new time member great community you have here looks great hope i can be a contribution some day

Story is i got a EF fairmont i have just purchased and for some reason the horn is not working , have hooked up the horn directly to the battery and it works , have also tried a test light to the horn output while getting someone to press the horn down and no luck

I can hear something clicking when either of the horn button is pressed so it seems as if something is making contact

Would anyone know where to start ?

I can not find any fuses or relays for the horn any help would be appreciated

Post subject: Re: EF horn not working?
Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The horn relay is beside the battery... There is 4 in there... 1 is low beam, 1 is high beam, 1 is starter and 1 is horn...

If you pull the relay out and bridge out the contacts the horn should blow... There will be a picture on the side of the relay showing the contacts... possibly 30 and 57 from memory...

If that works try swapping for a good relay... if that doesn't work then there is no power at the relay... If a relay swap doesn't fix it then you need to prove the circuit coming from the wheel...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:29 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
The horn relay is beside the battery... There is 4 in there... 1 is low beam, 1 is high beam, 1 is starter and 1 is horn...

If you pull the relay out and bridge out the contacts the horn should blow... There will be a picture on the side of the relay showing the contacts... possibly 30 and 57 from memory...

If that works try swapping for a good relay... if that doesn't work then there is no power at the relay... If a relay swap doesn't fix it then you need to prove the circuit coming from the wheel...

Cheers,
Tim

Great , will the battery need removing ? i see fuses by the battery but no relays i will need to dig in deeper tomorrow

Also what can cause a relay to die like this , if it is a relay ? ,i can hear something right by the battery clicking when the button is pressed

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Check the relay as mentioned earlier, that'd be the best place to start, but also keep in mind that on an EF or EL Fairmont, the horn is wired through the cruise control, make sure the cruise control module is all hooked up correctly. and also check that the wiring between the relay and the horn itself is good. I think you can rule the horn itself out as u hooked it straight to the battery and it worked, that was a good test to do.

Gab

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:27 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: F6 Typhoon

NSW, Australia

Does your cruise control function correctly? It operates off the same wires. On my old ef I had to re run the loom. One wire from the bcm and one from the horn to the relay coil. I had a few wires short out on that car.

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Have been trying for about 45min now ,

I have switched the relays around and no luck , do any of these relays have anything to do with starting the car ? as i bridged one for a moment and the starter motor kicked over

no markings on the box etc , and also i have not touched the yellow relay , i am guessing that is the fuel pump relay ?

I have just taken a break from it till ford modders have more advice , i just need to know which relay is the horn so i can bridge it i am unsure

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It could be your clock spring, do you know if your airbag light is flashing while you drive?

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
It could be your clock spring, do you know if your airbag light is flashing while you drive?

Nah no flash of the air bag light

i see the airbag light turn on when i turn the car on for about 1 second , but no flashing , have owned a EL with the beeps and air bag light flashing fortunately mine doesn't do it

But i can hear right near the relays clicking when i press the horn , just no noise

I will go pick a part in the next week or so and grab a few relays to test with , or use a clip as mentioned , i just need to know which relay is the horn

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I told you in my first post what the 4 relays are... None of them are fuel pump... Not sure which way around they are now... Yes one is starter... One should bring on low beam when shorted out... One should bring on high beam... The last remaining one should bring on the horn...

Does shorting the relay out bring the horn on? If not then it has nothing to do with the clock spring, horn, steering wheel, etc...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: F6 Typhoon

NSW, Australia

I chased my tail on this for about 6 months and solved it. The relays you want are next to the battery under the black cover, there are four on a row, The horn relay is the one closest to the front of the car. Bridge out the NO/C points on the car side (according to diag on the side of the relay) and see if the horn works.

Terminals 85 and 86 are your coil, check continuity across these on the relay.

The Yellow wire runs from the battery fusable link to one side of the relay coil

Blue wire runs from BCM and horn switch with battery voltage. When the switch is pressed or the BCM activates the horn, it becomes a 0V potental and energises the coil.

On the other end, another yellow wire runs from the battery fusable link to the common terminal of the relay.

And the other blue wire runs from the N/O terminal to the horn.

You need to verify the cruise control light in the dash illuminates when the ignition is on ON and the cruise control ON switch is pressed. if not its your signal wires to the relay.

Three things here, proper signal to the relay, the relay, and a working horn. Process of elimination.

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

you sure there isn't corrosion etc in the contacts ?

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Check all fuses with a test light ---
horn relay near battery under cover as stated-check if this is clicking noise you here when button pushed-
relay shows terminal numbers on side of it-

terminals 85 & 86 of relay is shunt to pull relay in - power from fuse link & earth from bem when horn button operated -
terminals 30 & 87 of relay are contacts - power to relay & power out to horn -
check if you have power to one of these terminals-Normally 30 - if you do bridge across 30 & 87 should supply power to horn - if no horn - break in circuit between relay & horn -

if horn works when circuit bridged & relay clicks change relay
if no power to 2 relay terminals check connections to fuse links battery etc.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

bennomate wrote:
I chased my tail on this for about 6 months and solved it. The relays you want are next to the battery under the black cover, there are four on a row, The horn relay is the one closest to the front of the car. Bridge out the NO/C points on the car side (according to diag on the side of the relay) and see if the horn works.

Simplest way to do this is to pull out the horn relay and plug in one of the others near it - doesn't matter which one - barring wire breakages, I'm guessing you'll have a horn.

Get yourself a shop manual - or find the threads here with the downloadable ones. Looking first at a wiring diagram would be the option instead of wasting time with unnecessary checks.

The clue here is the relay is clicking, so the power and steering wheel button switching is fine. The horn and it's relay get power directly from the engine fusible link, so this has to be fine. The relay power terminals will be jumpered underneath it's mounting base, so it's possible the wire is broken, but more likely the relay contacts are corroded, either inside the relay, or the mounting base terminals.

So you should be able to sort this out in about 5 mins . . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:38 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Snap has clarified my line of thinking exactly... So my first comment still stands...

Find the horn relay and either swap it with a good one or bridge it out...

Let us know if that fixes it or not... It is obvious everything else works because the relay clicks...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Snap has clarified my line of thinking exactly... So my first comment still stands...

Find the horn relay and either swap it with a good one or bridge it out...

Let us know if that fixes it or not... It is obvious everything else works because the relay clicks...

Cheers,
Tim

Will do it as soon as possible on weekend,

Horn not working now is the last of the problems :( , as the BTR is playing up fingers crossed its just low fluid but i may just give it a service for peace of mind

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next