Hand Brake 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Hand Brake
Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII V8S Ute

NT, Australia

Hi guys,

I went to pull on my hand brake the other day and it felt like it snapped. Had a look under the ute and all the linkages seem to be working ok. Looks to be that something has snapped at the end of the hand brake itself. There isn't anything dangling underneath the car. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? It's in a XH II ute so similar hand brake to EA/B/D but I'm not sure about underneath though but like I said all seems to be working underneath.

Thanks for any help

Pacies & single 2.5'. New manifold to come soon...

Post subject: Re: Hand Brake
Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

XHII V8S wrote:
Hi guys,

I went to pull on my hand brake the other day and it felt like it snapped. Had a look under the ute and all the linkages seem to be working ok. Looks to be that something has snapped at the end of the hand brake itself. There isn't anything dangling underneath the car. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? It's in a XH II ute so similar hand brake to EA/B/D but I'm not sure about underneath though but like I said all seems to be working underneath.

Thanks for any help

the little ball broke off. mine did this a few weeks ago need to replace the frist half of the cable..

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:12 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The front cable has most likely failed. As mentioned either the swage has sheared, or the cable itself has birdcaged and snapped.
An EA/B/D item will fit.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

ok so not a quickfix then? Any ideas on price for this and where I can get it or is it a Ford only part? Is it worth the hassle to do myself or pay someone. Looks to be that if the swage and sheared off I will need a new cable and have to feed it through backwards. Thanks for the help guys

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

XHII V8S wrote:
ok so not a quickfix then? Any ideas on price for this and where I can get it or is it a Ford only part? Is it worth the hassle to do myself or pay someone. Looks to be that if the swage and sheared off I will need a new cable and have to feed it through backwards. Thanks for the help guys

are you handy with tools cause all you need is to jake the car uponto stands and slide underneath loosen the three bolts alittle enough to move the cover slightty. get into the car undo the upper bolt holding onto dahs and the two bolts on the floor, unclip the pins and so fourth and pull he old cable out,,,

new cables are avaiable aftermarket non gen from most automotive stores.. took me like a hour to do it cause i never had a decent jack or ramps but if you have a semi decent jake it is like a 15 to 30 minute job depending how fast you remove the bolts etc..

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:20 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

Yeah I'm alright with the tools. I've pulled the dash out of my XF a couple of times including the hand brake so I've got an idea of what you mean. Thanks for the advice

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:18 am 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

Wasn't too difficult a job. It's easy but if you know the sequence in advance it can save you the hassle of putting it together only to find the housing for the cable doesn't fit up with the hand brake. All fixed thanks for the help guys.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]