The Unit 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: The Unit
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ford au2 6x2 auto tray

NSW, Australia

Hi, my first post :oops: I have an AU2 4L Column Auto Trayback, with a twist. It has a Transit Hordern 6x2 Conversion with LSD, 2.85m tray and lpg conversion. It is rated at 1.5t, weighs 2t empty and weighs 3.5t every day. It also tows 2.5t of caravan when we are on the move. Maybe thats why it has a very noisy diff at the moment. :roll: I am looking for advice on whether to replace the diff complete or what centres fit and how involved replacing a centre would be.
Attachment:
P1010063-1.JPG
P1010063-1.JPG [ 216.08 KiB | Viewed 163 times ]
This is the Unit. Cheers

Post subject: Re: The Unit
Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Wagon/ 1967 XR

VIC, Australia

Are you positive the diff itself is shagged and not just the bearings or something else?
Ive heard the centres are hard to replace and most people get them done by someone who auctually works with diffs ect cos they arnt just a simple swap and go excercise and require tensioning/ shimming.
Firstly id make sure its nothig else maybe even check the diff fluid, otherwise if i were you id be looking to try and find a complete diff replacement making sure the gear ratios are the same that way it should be pretty straight forward swap with just the u bolts, tailshaft bolts, brake lines and handbrake cable.
But then again ive never looked under a 6x2 rear end???
Have a look here wont exactly answer all your questions but might be of help otherwise im sure theres someone else on here who could point you in the right direction.
gearbox-suspension-brake-driveline-f4/new-diff-gearing-t82818.html?hilit=how to change diff gears

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:00 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Hi and welcome to Fordmods, I just have to say I like your unit mate!

You can sure take everything with that setup. Whats it like cornering with the van on though? It looks as though most of the A frame is under the extended tray? It could just be the pic but it just looks as though it could hit the van on a tight turn.

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:48 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford au2 6x2 auto tray

NSW, Australia

Good observation! It was a bit tight on full lock turning, have had contact and damage, so I've extended the draw bar on the van by 200 mm. Problem solved. Unit is VERY stable even at 110kph, had to dodge a Goanna recently and the extra axle and wheels just kept everything together. I am thinking of upgrading the front brakes to slotted rotors and special pads to help stop the 6 tonne rolling mass. It has 6 wheel discs and 4 wheel electric brakes on van. The tow ball is directly under the end of the tray. I'm not sure Henry Ford meant for his Falcons to be doing this sort of stuff!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]