Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Strange Gearbox problem.
Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Ok.

I have an EF 5L that has had a problem in the last 2-3 days.

First thing in the morning, the dash is lit with econ and the car is in limp home mode (locked in 3rd gear).

Now seeing as i had to go to work, i drove on and tried to baby it there. After 2 mins it was clicking (sounds like it was coming from dash) and the econ light that notes in was in LHM was flashing and the ggearbox was stuttering, It was in 3rd gear then switched back n forth in very quick succesion so i pulled over and looked in the fuse panel and felt for anything loose (couldnt see as it was 5.20 in the morning).

I turned the key and the dash clicked once or twice then the econ light went out on the dash and i had all my gears again. Same thing happened this morning too. But when i finish work at 4.30 in the afternoon, it starts with no LHM at all, no issues, no slippages...

I have checked my gearbox, it has been rebuilt not long ago, Oil level is fine and there is no discolouration.

Im pretty sure it is an electrical issue (though im no sparky), So basically i am asking is what should i be checking for? I have had a look in the fuse panel, cant really see anything that could possibly be blown, though i did change a 15 amp fuse labelled AUTO TX as it looked discoloured. Could it be something else? Oil pressure switch?

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Post subject: Re: Strange Gearbox problem.
Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

the clicking may be from the TCM under the dash to the left of the brake pedal.
Also if might be worth disconnecting and reconnecting the auto TX connector under the bonnet, sort of on the passenger side behind the intake mani - its a round connector incase theres a bit of corrosion in it
Hows the battery terminals etc, no corrosion?

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Battery terminals are fine and clean.

The TCM looks fine at first glance, i touched it and nothing seemed loose, the sound looks like it was coming from the right hand side, almost near the ignition barrel fuse box area.

I have changed any fuses that looked remotely dodgy, but i guess i will find out tomorrow.

If it is still dodge i will just call a auto sparky out.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon

ACT, Australia

Does the car start alright? I'd be checking the condition of the battery. I have an I6 EB falcon. it would sit for a while with a dead battery. I knew the battery was stuffed. I'd jump start it and drive it a bit. I'd experience a clicking noise in the dash area. The faster i'd go, the faster the clicking. Although it didn't go into limp home mode. Just harsh gear changes. New battery and the problem went away straight away.

Fords Rule. OK.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]