Fordmods Logo

Mudgee Help Needed 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Mudgee Help Needed
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:44 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1995 EF GLi

NSW, Australia

Hi all. First I'd like to say how I'm glad I found this forum. Now here is what I have. My Ford is an EF 1995 GLi Falcon Duel Fuel Tickford factory fitted and done 236,000 k's. Living in Mudgee NSW presents a bit of a problem in regards to getting a decent mechanic who knows a bit about LPG. I have found that when I accelerate hard on gas it backfires (loudly) through the air-box. Only does it when it's very cold or when hot with a quick acceleration. Also only does it on gas, never petrol. So, I'm wondering if anyone in these forums is from the Mudgee area and good on Tickford gas systems? Most mechanics I find here say "it's natural for gas to backfire", which I think is ****. They shouldn't backfire without a reason. Anyway, if anyone can help out it would be appreceated. PS: Also have a leaking welsh plug due to be done next week. Would this have anything to do with backfire?

------------------------
Just Lovin' my FORD

Post subject: Re: Mudgee Help Needed
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

glenroy wrote:
Hi all. First I'd like to say how I'm glad I found this forum. Now here is what I have. My Ford is an EF 1995 GLi Falcon Duel Fuel Tickford factory fitted and done 236,000 k's. Living in Mudgee NSW presents a bit of a problem in regards to getting a decent mechanic who knows a bit about LPG. I have found that when I accelerate hard on gas it backfires (loudly) through the air-box. Only does it when it's very cold or when hot with a quick acceleration. Also only does it on gas, never petrol. So, I'm wondering if anyone in these forums is from the Mudgee area and good on Tickford gas systems? Most mechanics I find here say "it's natural for gas to backfire", which I think is ****. They shouldn't backfire without a reason. Anyway, if anyone can help out it would be appreceated. PS: Also have a leaking welsh plug due to be done next week. Would this have anything to do with backfire?
timing,whats your main fuel used,gas or petrol? lpg doesnt need all the advance ,but needs more timing on crank.most cars are set by mechanics at 12-14 on crank for lpg.check the forum for specs on tickford lpg timing,or ask ford dealer for specs.with those ks valve grind maybe,if a inlet is playing up or as above timing.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:37 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon RTV

QLD, Australia

Have you done the self learn feature for the tickford lpg setup as in the doco's.Do this first and see how it goes. http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=18

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

How old are your plugs and leads????
Is it still the factory coilpack (I think EF was coilpack)

usually backfires are due to spark issues ... and don't present themselves that much on petrol and LPG is more sensitive and if the spark is super-clean and there's the slightest of misses (which is indetectible on petrol) ... it will backfire for sure on LPG.

as mentioned usual suspects are spark plugs and leads ... and over time the coilpack terminals can break down and spark intensity is either reduced or stops altogether ... especially under load.

Put it this way ... my factory LPG AUII ute had a coilpack that was giveing the odd pop and bang under load ... not all of the time ... ended up the terminals on the coilpack were breaking down ... replaced it ... not a problems since.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

Just had a recent trip to Mudgee with a group of Territory owners a few weeks back ... very nice place indeed ... I wanna head back again and sample more of the wineries.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Post subject: Thanks For The Help
Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the help fella's. Yeah, I will be doing the plugs and leads and then the coil-pack. I'll use NGK. At the moment I am using Top Gun. Have to tell you this one though. The other day I was heading into town and we have a certain copper here who is a bit 'savage'. He was riding a push bike along and I decided to overtake him. I put the foot down and yep, you guessed it. If looks could kill I'd be dead :wink:

------------------------
Just Lovin' my FORD

Post subject: Re: Thanks For The Help
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

glenroy wrote:
The other day I was heading into town and we have a certain copper here who is a bit 'savage'. He was riding a push bike along and I decided to overtake him. I put the foot down and yep, you guessed it. If looks could kill I'd be dead :wink:

Priceless.

I bought a car at Mudgee about a month ago, scary place as I have relo's there.

I backup Mechan1k, ignition breakdown is the most common reason for it under load, backfiring on startup is normally a lean mixture and/or ignition system, does this happen at all?

Check your plastic intake and air box, nothing uncommon for EF intake to either split at the seams or destroy the air box, sometimes both (Even the factory fitted systems). Factory LPG system should have spring clips holding the air cleaner lid secure, in most cases this saves the air box, but you still need to check if it blew the air cleaner out of its seating, allowing dirt etc into the intake.

Many a time I have had the s**t scared out of me while test driving a LPG Falcon/Fairlane etc, I didn't know a NA Fairlane could sound cool without a air box until it blew it clean off, nearly every one was fixed with just spark plugs, cap and leads.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

The converter could also be your problem. What brand it?

Member Number 8804

Post subject: Re: Thanks For The Help
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Macca wrote:
glenroy wrote:
The other day I was heading into town and we have a certain copper here who is a bit 'savage'. He was riding a push bike along and I decided to overtake him. I put the foot down and yep, you guessed it. If looks could kill I'd be dead :wink:
Priceless. I bought a car at Mudgee about a month ago, scary place as I have relo's there.
I backup Mechan1k, ignition breakdown is the most common reason for it under load, backfiring on startup is normally a lean mixture and/or ignition system, does this happen at all?
Usually only backfires when it's under load. Worse when it's cold though
Quote:
Check your plastic intake and air box, nothing uncommon for EF intake to either split at the seams or destroy the air box, sometimes both (Even the factory fitted systems). Factory LPG system should have spring clips holding the air cleaner lid secure, in most cases this saves the air box, but you still need to check if it blew the air cleaner out of its seating, allowing dirt etc into the intake.

Yes, it has blown the crap outa my box so I put a pod on with 3" pipe done by my local exhaust bloke. Seems to have more power when it gets going. I'll take a photo and upload
Many a time I have had the s**t scared out of me while test driving a LPG Falcon/Fairlane etc, I didn't know a NA Fairlane could sound cool without a air box until it blew it clean off, nearly every one was fixed with just spark plugs, cap and leads.

------------------------
Just Lovin' my FORD

Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

I have factory LPG and the only time mine backfired was when the heater hose let go and drenched the coil pack. As said before check leads plugs and coil pack first. Then check for vacuum leaks as a backfire (excluding faulty leads and plugs)is generally a lean mixture. When it backfires it generally pressurises the engine and pops of the MAP sensor line, it won't run too good like this so this should be obvious, a split vacuum hose may not be. Also the stepper motor could be faulty if the convertor has leaked and rusted the motor.

On a side note when I was young we had a backfire in a HK out in a national park and the ranger chased us for miles unknown to us before he caught us, he had us pull the gear out of the car looking for a gun.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]