Fordmods Logo

commy t5 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: commy t5
Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:03 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Oustide Australia

I have been thinking about changing over from a 4sp auto to a manual. I can get a commodore t5 at a very very cheap price. How different are the commodore t5's compared to the ones used in the falcons?

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

iirc correctly they wont fit at all....just hunt around mate u will find one

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

IIRC the input shaft is way longer on the commo box

Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
cardinal_eb wrote:
can you use a commodore T5 and but a falcon bellhousing on...

nope, the input shafts are different lengths

ford I6 input shaft is 167mm
ford v8 input shaft is 193mm
V6 commy input shaft is 240mm
V8 commy input shaft is 205mm

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

unless its very very very cheap not worth the hassle of switching input shafts over

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

And the counter gear as they're matched to the input shaft - then there's whether the mainshaft gears will mesh, etc . . . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
And the counter gear as they're matched to the input shaft - then there's whether the mainshaft gears will mesh, etc . . . . . .

yeah i don't know specific details....one of my mates did it, said next time he's just going to pay to get his box rebuilt (got a rebuilt commy one for next to nothing after another of my mates wrote his car off) :roll:

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:

as long as the input shafts all have the same number of teeth then they should interchange without too much effort

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Oustide Australia

The T5 for Ford are near impossible to get here in NZ, there is one for sale in Auckland for $2250. I can get the box for around $100. I understand the output shaft is the same so that wont be a problem (Could always get a commy yoke welded onto the driveshaft anyway) If the V8 ford is only 12mm shorter then couldn't I use a 12mm adapter plate? The auto bellhousing is about 12mm shorter than the commy one. Maybe it is a silly idea brain storming with beer but we figured this might work with a ford flywheel & pressure plate and commy disk. Unless the ford one has the same number of teeth. I'm just absolutely p****d with the electronic 4 speed. styupid thing keeps going into lhm and I'm running very short on patience.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

gogetta wrote:
snap0964 wrote:
as long as the input shafts all have the same number of teeth then they should interchange without too much effort
So which one's do have the same no of teeth??

KiwiDazza wrote:
The T5 for Ford are near impossible to get here in NZ, there is one for sale in Auckland for $2250. I can get the box for around $100. I understand the output shaft is the same so that wont be a problem (Could always get a commy yoke welded onto the driveshaft anyway) If the V8 ford is only 12mm shorter then couldn't I use a 12mm adapter plate? The auto bellhousing is about 12mm shorter than the commy one. Maybe it is a silly idea brain storming with beer but we figured this might work with a ford flywheel & pressure plate and commy disk. Unless the ford one has the same number of teeth. I'm just absolutely p****d with the electronic 4 speed. styupid thing keeps going into lhm and I'm running very short on patience.
What car is the g/box going into ??
Couldn't you get a ford T5 off ebay (or this forum) and get it freighted over from Aust ??
Even an EA T5 behind a 6 cyl will go fine, provided it's driven normally.

You should be able to get something together for considerably less than $2250.
I would buy the commo T5 for $100 - just for spares sake - assume though that none of the gears will be interchangeable (worst possible scenario) - the value is in the spares such as synchros, etc.

If you buy a ford T5, you should strip it down and inspect, replace bearings/seals where necessary, check clearances/preloads - the ellery's/gregory's manuals are reasonably good in the info.

Take it from me, it's not that hard, and well worth doing.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Oustide Australia

It's going into a 67 mustang, which has a 96 xr8 302 in it. We weren't going to change input shafts but instead make an adaptor plate. If a W55 can be mated up to a 302 without any trouble then I figured this wouldn't be too difficult. With that setup people have used adaptor plates or new bellhousing ford flywheel & pressure plate with Toyota clutch disk.

If I use a 6cyl T5 I'm going to run into problems because of the shaft length is smaller. And yes I'm starting to look at importing one in.

the clutch splines are only slightly different between the two. 10x1 /16 for the Ford and 10x 1 1/8" for the commy.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Okay, I get the picture - you've obviously already scoured many forums.

Probably best to keep clear of a T5 box - maybe an alternative to your plan might be a supra box or similar.

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

If its any help to you kiwidazza, my 5.0L wagon has a 6cyl T5 behind it. It has a lengthened input shaft and has lasted now for 4 years. Much cheaper and of course easier to find than a V8 T5 thats for sure!

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:11 am 
Stock as a Rock

Oustide Australia

except here in NZ :(

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]